AHA BLS Instructor Training Prerequisites / Course Details
Thank you for your interest in American Heart Association BLS Instructor Training with CPR School House. To enroll in a class, or view our current schedule click here. The following information outlines course prerequisites, required skill proficiencies, required course materials, how to prepare for the class, and what you need to do to be awarded Instructor status. To find out more about the time and cost involved with becoming an AHA instructor / AHA Training Site, click here. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via phone (855-277-6446) or contact us through our website.
- Current protocol (unexpired) AHA BLS Provider certification card. A Heartsaver card is a different level of certification and cannot be accepted for this class. 2015 Guidelines cards will be accepted for classes through the end of 2020. After January 1st 2021 you must have a 2020 Guidelines BLS Provider Card to be admitted to the class.
- Exemplary BLS Provider skills (see list of skills below)
- Ability to pass the BLS instructor exam
- Alignment with an AHA Training Center: students must speak with an AHA Training Center Coordinator and get their alignment approved before attending their Instructor Course. All students completing their Instructor Training with us are automatically Aligned with CPR School House.
Required Instructor Course / Teaching Materials (Note: these materials must be obtained before the start of your class)
Information on how to obtain materials will be provided in your course orientation packet once you register for the class. *Prices can fluctuate but are current as of 2021
- AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor Manual, $42.50
- AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual, $16.00
- BLS for Healthcare Providers Course and Renewal Course DVD, $92.50
Required Instructor Essentials Online Class
The American Heart Association requires all instructor candidates to complete the online BLS Instructor Essentials course. The cost of this course is $34.00 and is payable directly to the American Heart Association. All students must complete this 2 hour course and bring their completion certificate to the in-person instructor class.
Required Skill Proficiencies (must be correctly demonstrated at the start of the Instructor course)
- 1 rescuer adult CPR (BLS Course)
- 2 rescuer adult CPR with AED (BLS Course)
- 1 rescuer infant CPR (BLS Course)
- 2 rescuer infant CPR (BLS Course)
How to Prepare for the AHA BLS Instructor Course
- Practice, practice, practice your skills! The BLS Instructor Manual contains a skill check-off sheet that you will use to evaluate your own students. Skills are explained step by step. Study the skills check list, practice the skills yourself, you can even practice watching a friend performing the skill and check off the steps they have performed correctly as they do the skill. An additional way to practice is by re-watching the AHA BLS course videos. You can also audit a BLS course by contacting CPR School House. Students who cannot correctly perform these skills at the beginning of the instructor course will not be permitted to continue the course.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider Instructor Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider Student Manual.