AHA ACLS Instructor Training Prerequisites / Course Details
Thank you for your interest in American Heart Association ACLS Instructor Training with CPR School House. To enroll in a class, or view our current schedule click here. The following information outlines course prerequisites, required skill proficiencies, required course materials, how to prepare for the class, and what you need to do to be awarded Instructor status. To find out more about the time and cost involved with becoming an AHA instructor / AHA Training Site, click here. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via phone (855-277-6446) or contact us through our website.
- Current 2020 protocol (unexpired) AHA BLS Provider and 2020 ACLS certification cards.
- Current status as an AHA BLS Instructor.
- Exemplary ACLS Provider skills (see list of skills below)
- Ability to pass the ACLS instructor exam
- Alignment with an AHA Training Center: students must speak with an AHA Training Center Coordinator and get their alignment approved before attending their Instructor Course. CPR School House welcomes those who complete our Instructor Courses to align with us.
Required Instructor Course / Teaching Materials (Note: these materials must be obtained before the start of your class)
Information on how to obtain materials will be provided in your course orientation packet once you register for the class. All prices are approximate.
- AHA 2020 ACLS Instructor Manual, $55.00
- AHA 2020 ACLS Provider Manual, $42.00
- 2020 ACLS Course DVD, $94
Required Instructor Essentials Online Class
The American Heart Association requires all instructor candidates to complete the online ACLS Instructor Essentials course. The cost of this course is $34.00 and is payable directly to the American Heart Association. All students must complete this 2 hour course and bring their completion certificate to the in-person instructor class.
Required Skill Proficiencies (must be correctly demonstrated at the start of the Instructor course)
- Cardiac Arrest Management
- Management of Bradycardia Arrhythmias
- Management of Tachicardia Arrhythmias
- Basic EKG Interpretation Skills
How to Prepare for the AHA ACLS Instructor Course
- Practice, practice, practice your skills! The ACLS Instructor Manual contains a skill check-off sheet that you will use to evaluate your own students. Skills are explained step by step. Study the skills check list, practice the skills yourself, you can even practice watching a friend performing the skill and check off the steps they have performed correctly as they do the skill. An additional way to practice is by re-watching the AHA ACLS course videos. You can also audit an ACLS course by contacting CPR School House. Students who cannot correctly perform these skills at the beginning of the instructor course will not be permitted to continue the course and will be asked to attend the next session.
- Read through your entire AHA ACLS for Healthcare Provider Instructor Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA ACLS for Healthcare Provider Student Manual.
Post Instructor Training Requirements & AHA Training Center Alignment
- Instructors are required to join the AHA Instructor Network upon completion of the course.